Philippines 2:12-13 AMPLIFIED
“So then, my dear ones, just as you have always obeyed [my instructions with enthusiasm], not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence, continue to work out your salvation [that is, cultivate it, bring it to full effect, actively pursue spiritual maturity] with awe-inspired fear and trembling [using serious caution and critical self-evaluation to avoid anything that might offend God or discredit the name of Christ].
For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you, both to will and to work [that is, strengthening, energizing, and creating in you the longing and the ability to fulfill your purpose] for His good pleasure.”
“Actively Pursue Spiritual Maturity“, why, read the next verse, “For it is [not your strength, but it is] God who is effectively at work in you” and “He has the ability to fulfill your purpose”.
Self sufficiencey is an enemy, or perhaps even the opposite to dependence on God.
As our lives grow and develop, it’s very easy, just a subtle step sideways, to begin to think I am OK, things are working out and we can begin to think we are doing this, but without God, would we have gotten this far?
Always remember, that as Christians, we are where we are because of what God has done. My success is part of His plan and He has even more future plans for me, so as I grow, develope and move forward in life, do it walking with Jesus.
A few of the great points in this passage –
- As I give and receive instruction, I am encouraging people towards “greatness”
- Cultivate growth, active responsibility.
- Bring growth to it’s full effect, don’t stop at less than you can be. Let the Success that you experience today inspire you to greater success.
- The need to actively pursue maturity, have a “desire DRIVEN life”.
- The need for critical self examination, am I on the right path, heading in the right direction, if not, why not and so now I might need to change some thing.
- It is NEVER my strength, but always His. I am blessed because He blesses me. Do not let blessing blind us to the One who bless’s us.
- My success is part of His plan, I did not do it alone or by myself.
- He has future plans for me, which will only be realised as I continue to walk with Him and be dependant upon Him.
- I want to grow, develop AND move forwards in all areas of my life, not just in some areas.
Don’t let a limited measure of success tell you that you did it all by yourself, because, YOU DIDN’T. He did it as you walked with Him so keep walking with Him.