WHO ARE WE AND WHAT DO WE DO…
Mark and Christine Pedder, two Aussies living and working in a large slum in Asia, BASECO.
Around 1/2 square km of reclaimed land, with an estimated 16,500 families living on it in abject poverty. The average family size is mum, dad and 4-6 children, with extremes where families have more tan 10 children. The largest family we personally know has 21 living children, our neighbour has 18. So even if you do the lowest possible estimate of our slum population, we have more than 100,000 people living in our slum.
EVERYTHING THAT WE DO IS FOR THE PURPOSE OF SALVATION,
AND IS DONE IS THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST.
There are only two verses of scripture in our Vision Statement – Luke 10:19 and Acts 10:38, there is obviously a third scripture that is the heart beat of who we are and what we do – John 14:12…Our Vision never really changes, we aim to do this year what we did last year, but just more of it. We don’t plan or strategise much at all, as anything that has life will grow naturally, unforced and unplanned.
Our biggest challenge would be this – TO HEAR GOD AND KEEP ON DOING WHAT HE SAYS, and then to teach our leaders to do the same.
We believe than everybody CAN and that everybody SHOULD be involved in changing their world for the better. Everyone has an influence and everyone can make a difference. The world needs all of us, everyone is of equal importance. We believe in the bible and we believe in Jesus Christ, Saviour of the world. Of course there are other things we believe in, but basically we are born again Christians, living out their faith in a third world slum.
So what do we actually do in Baseco, how do we help the poor…here is some of what we do – we are making a difference person by person, family by family…ANYONE COULD DO WHAT WE DO…
- Plant Local Churches and Develop Local Leaders for those churches
- Send nearly 200 Students to School – who could not otherwise attend school. The sponsorship that we provide covers all expenses for a one year period. We have churches who sponsor children, families, individuals and we sponsor a number of children ourselves. The plan is to make it possible for the bright students to go all the way through College if they want to and can make the grade to do so.
- A Micro Enterprise Program using Pedi Cabs – that currently gives a steady income, double what they could normally earn for 80+ families.
- Family Sponsorship Program – that provides short term relief for families that cannot source an income for themselves due to sickness, death or imprisonment of the primary wage earner in their home…eg: a lady with 8 children, who’s husband dies suddenly and there is now no income at all into this family – we will sponsor all of their needs, practical and spiritual, until a solution can be found for them…they will go without nothing.
- Provide FREE Medicines – on sometimes a daily basis, primarily for children. Basic anti-biotics, wound care, burns care (minor and major) asthma treatment, pain and fever relief, finance for minor operations (in certain situations). Numbers of our leaders have medical kits and small stocks of medicines in their homes so they can attend to people in their areas. We also provide basic medical training for our leaders and others in the community. Part of this is the running of dental missions and medical missions from time to time.
- Build Homes – this is an “as needed” area of ministry. If we find sick and dying children, part of the help package is to provide appropriate shelter, keep them dry, give them a place to sleep. I have lost track of how many homes we have built.
- In Summary – WE HELP PEOPLE IN THE NAME OF JESUS…there are a lot of other things that we do, but this is a decent summary.
We have a conviction that EVERYTHING of Salvation is FREE, and so we NEVER CHARGE for anything that we do. The really poor have nothing to give, so we give to them the same as Jesus gave to us, and we do so FREELY.
WELCOME TO BASECO…WE ALL ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE TO LIVE, LIVE IT WELL…GIVE IT AWAY…
USE YOUR LIFE TO BETTER THE LIVES OF OTHERS…
IF YOU DO NOT DIE TO YOUR OWN SELF, YOU WILL NEVER REALLY LIVE…